I never imagined that I would take this route to find my mate, but that’s what happened.
Being an independent girl living in Mumbai all alone, I always make my own decisions.
And I believed that arranged marriage is an institution where your family make the decision for you. Something I was not at all comfortable with.
Being an independent girl living in Mumbai all alone, I always make my own decisions.
And I believed that arranged marriage is an institution where your family make the decision for you. Something I was not at all comfortable with.
But as they say, “A person often meets his destiny on the road he took to avoid it.”
So while I was busy running away from this institution I never thought I’ll fall straight into its lap. LOL
How we met?
Our families were in touch and they wanted us (me & Akshat) to have our first phone conversation so that we get to know each other. We both were trying to delay the process but after repeated reminders from his mom he had to make the first move. On July 19, he sent me a text message, wanted to talk to me and that’s how our first conversation began.
Though when he called I was expecting that we’ll have a small chat, maybe just introduce ourselves for now and speak in detail later but we connected instantly, both of us had so much to talk about and that’s how the two unfamiliar people became friends.
Our first meeting happened in Delhi on Aug 8, after 20 days. We both went to an Italian restaurant for lunch. I was a bit uncomfortable at first, maybe I was nervous. This whole arranged marriage format was not easy for me. I was twisting and twisting my bracelet in anxiety. He noticed my restlessness and made me feel comfortable in no time. That was the first time I felt he could be the one!
He offered me a ride back home, the drive was long, but I accepted the offer as I wanted to spend some more time with him. He had a small gift for me in the car, I liked the gesture. The drive was long, and I made it extra-long with my poor sense of direction. LOL Even though Delhi is my hometown, living in Mumbai for more than 5 years has made me forget all the routes. I made him drive in every corner of Delhi that day yet he was so calm and patient.
We reached home and he met my parents for the first time, they loved him too. Next day I met his mom and dad and by the time my sister was interrogating him on skype in the next room everything got finalised. Though we both knew this would happen but still it came to us as a surprise. Everything was happening so fast.
He came to see me at the airport again just to make sure I was happy and not freaking out. I really liked the fact that he was so caring and considerate.
I saw him standing outside the airport even after I got inside. He stood there, staring at me as I walk my way to the security check area. I could see love in his eyes for me. I knew in my heart that even though everything seems hasty, he is the guy for me.
Despite our geographic distances, we always feel connected to each other. I love the way he gives me my space and respects my independent and carefree attitude. I fell in love with him because of a million tiny things that he never knew he was doing.
Now I feel that arranged marriages are more interesting, the way you gradually learn about each other, discovering each others tiny little secrets, makes it more and more exciting.
But the funny thing is that nobody believes it’s an arranged marriage, all my cousins, relatives and friends are confused. Even when we went to the jewellery store to buy our engagement rings they confidently assumed it’s a love marriage!
And why not, of course, we both are in love. That’s exactly what everybody can see. :) :)
We got engaged on December 12, 2015 and our wedding is on February 24, 2016.


Congratulations! Wot a lovely story. :) wish you all the best! :)
ReplyDeleteThank you so much Aarushi :)
DeleteVery nice :) Congratulations :)
ReplyDeletethanks Ratna :)
DeleteCongrats!! Weddings bring out the poet in everyone.. Just the time when I also started writing :) don't lose the flair :)
ReplyDeleteHaha .. so true Aditi. I have read your blog too .. i found it very interesting. I have been writing since a very long time now... but this post got maximum likes/ comments/hits... love stories sell like hot cakes!! LOL
DeleteCongratulations Archika! Happy for u two.
ReplyDeletethanks Meghna :D
DeleteI cn connect with ds piece.. Because exactly the same thng happened wd me.. Ech n evry thng,,evn the places. N we gt engaged on 6th Dec 2015 and marriage is on 3rd march.. Thnkew for sharing this stry. :)
ReplyDeleteI am glad that you could connect with our story. Its interesting to know that we got engaged at the same time and our stories are quite similar. Congratulations to you too!
DeleteCongratulations archika.. wish you both wonderful time ahead
ReplyDeleteThank You Yogesh :)
DeleteSuch a well written note Archika, so happy for the two of you
ReplyDeleteLove and lots of best wishes to the two of you :)
Thanks a lot Mudita :) :)
DeleteVery touching story...seems like mine :P
ReplyDeletevery funny :P :P
DeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete