I still remember that day- 24th November 2010, my flight from Delhi to Mumbai landed at around 7 am in the morning. While it was bone-chilling cold in Delhi at that time, Mumbai welcomed me with showers as soon as I came out of the airport.
And that's how my journey in Mumbai began…. A journey of a confused, timid yet so confident girl who decided to leave her own house and head towards this unknown city….the girl who wanted to stay alone and become independent. In search of herself…her true soul.
Frankly speaking this was a true adventure of my life…. I left my job in Delhi and came to Mumbai even without a job in hand. My parent relatives, friends (most of them) were in grim despair and awestruck wonder, with my decision. But still I decided to take a chance with my career, with my life.
This was the first time I was out of my home like this…alone with no one to help. Though I had few friends in Mumbai but when I came out of the airport I had no one to receive me… not even my calls. May be because I reached too early in the morning I told myself. But still I was nervous, as I didn’t know where I was heading. My college friend – Vijay who was staying in Mumbai for quite some time had arranged an accommodation (PG) in Andheri West, 4 Bungalows for me. He was supposed to take me there but alas he was not even answering my calls, and on top of that I didn’t have the proper address of my PG too!! I didn’t know what to do, I couldn’t even call my parents as they would feel that I’m not capable of handling things on my own, so I decided to go to the place myself and then figure out something.
All the way I kept calling on his number and finally after missing my 20 calls he answered.
Helllllo (in sleep) he said
“Where the hell are you??? I’m just about to reach Andheri…. Where do I need to go after that??” I freaked out
“Oops! Did you reach?? I’m so sorry… I didn’t sleep last night … I thought I’ll stay awake as you were coming too early, but just before your flight landed I dozed off”… he replied
“Whaaat!! Is 7 am early for you?? You are mad Vijay”... I said
“Arey bhai… I usually write in the night and then sleep in the morning…. So for me 7 am is early” said Vijay who is a scriptwriter
“Ohkkk whatever… now tell me where do I go” I said
“Ask your cab driver to wait near the Gurudwara at 4 Bungalows, I’ll see you there” he said
I still remember that place, just next to the Gurudwara at 4 Bungalows there was a wide lane that had slums on the right hand side. When we entered the lane, it gave me a sick feeling.
“Where are we going Vijay? Is this the place where I’m supposed to stay?” I asked him with a weird expression on my face.
He understood what I meant and said “It’s a very safe place don’t worry, entire Mumbai is full of slums you can’t escape them. And on top of it… these are not slums these are just small shops with houses on top”
“What rubbish!” I said in my mind
We entered a society, something that I didn’t like much at that time. The house in which I was supposed to stay was on the ground floor. It was a 2 BHK flat; my room had 2 single beds, one window, a dressing table, a side table, and a small attached bathroom. The lady told me that I will be sharing this room with a girl, who is always absent (I mean most of the times she was staying in Raipur- her home town). I was pretty relaxed to hear that from her.
The expressions on my face were I guess still weird till then, there were so many questions running in my mind. May be because I had expected too much of that place.
Vijay saw me and took me to a corner and said, “This is the best PG you could get in this place in Rs 6,500 p.m. After seeing some 10 PGs I have decided on this one for you. It’s just a 10 mins walk till Lokhandwala arcade, and another 10 mins walk to Infinity Mall from here, minimum auto fare to Versova beach, even Juhu chowpaty is near. What else you want? Don’t think so much, you’ll get used to the place soon.”
Though I was not really convinced at that time, but then I told myself that I was here to learn, and experience life. I wanted to learn to adjust, to leave my comfort zone. I knew it would be difficult for me to share my room with someone unknown, when I used to even kick my sis out of my room in Delhi. I knew it will be difficult to cook my own food when I used to throw tantrums at home every day. But I took it all as an adventure to see what lies at the end!
I loved this! It was so real.First time I came to know your feeling when you left home alone, of course for good purpose. Its good to write on any field on which someone has practical experience. Anyways I'm happy with your decision.
ReplyDeleteThank you mummy :)
ReplyDeleteI'm impressed with your writing skills. The best qualified person to write on any field is someone who has practical experience in that endeavor.
ReplyDeleteNice one...but let me tell you..
ReplyDeleteEntire Mumbai is not full of slums...Hang around a bit more and you will come to know...
Sure... there is a lot more positive that i will write soon :)
ReplyDeleteEarlier I was not convinced with your decision but now I am happy that your bold step made you more mature and self dependent. My best wishes are with you for your success. Keep on writing and share your experience.
ReplyDeletehehe..thank u daduu :D
ReplyDeleteJust A Sentence for it...
ReplyDelete"Hats Off To Euhh..."
and i m sure u will Go Miles From Here....!!
thank u Chhotu baby :) :P
ReplyDelete