I was famous for ruining all the dances in my family, one of the reasons I never ever tried dancing all my life was due to the fact that my sis was a great dancer…. obvious we would be compared… so when I was young, I decided to show her a white flag (LOL) !! And thus I never danced in front of my folks.
But all this while I never thought that one day my sister will get married and ofcourse I will have to entertain the crowd…LOL. Yup this happens only in India!! Hahaha … Plus not to forget I belong to a true Kayastha family so I’m bound to show my talent even if I don’t have any!! ;-)
And on Jan 26 2012 when the entire country was celebrating Republic day, I discovered that I was still ruled by my mom…hehe. It was my Sis’s Roka ceremony (engagement) that day…. and (as expected) even before a month my mom starting pestering me to prepare a dance for the day. Every day when I used to call home we used to have nasty conversation like this:-
“So did you think of a song?”
“Song? Why?? Do YOU want to dance on 26th?” (Deliberately I used to say this to change the topic ;-))
“Nooooo… You will dance!!” My mom replied in anger
“But you know mom that I can’t dance” (the only excuse I could give her:P)
“Ofcourse you can dance… who said you can’t…?! “…she replied (wow now that was a sudden shift in attitude…. All this while I was forced to believe that I can’t dance and now that she wants me to dance she is even ready to say this!! :P)
“You only said… that when I dance it looks as if a wrestler is wrestling”:P
“When did I say that…??” my mom asked so innocently as if she can’t recall
“When I was young!!”
“But that’s long back….you were so silly at that time…. Now I know you can dance” (she was still trying to convince me)
“But how do you know that? You haven’t seen me dancing all this while”
“Archika… now shut up…. Don’t argue unnecessarily… (Mom relied in anger) it’s your sister’s engagement for god’s sake…so you better dance. I don’t think anyone else in our family is preparing anything… now you tell me who will dance!! Even Shamit’s dad and uncle are singing… you want to say that we have got no talent in our family…blah blah blah” (so now that was the plan…I thought in my mind:P)
“I have found some dance videos on youtube I’ll send you the links so that you can practice”(she added)
Ofcourse …poor me… I had nothing to say after all this… so my search for a song begun…
But the interesting part is that such things are really very hilarious coz it’s not your story alone… even other parents were forcing their kids to dance, sing etc. etc. (everyone of us was sailing in the same boat :P) But Alas! All this doesn’t put your troubles to an end… I still had to dance:(
I reached home just a day before the engagement from Mumbai to Delhi. And in the night I showed the dance step to my mom to approve… obviously she had to approve coz she didn’t have a choice ;-). Frankly speaking I was shit nervous coz it was like a solo performance…. Atleast in group performances you have scope to hide behind the best performer… here I didn’t have that escape too!!
So I thought it was time for me to use my PR skills…. Obviously no point of using them on my mom coz she knows me very well… so I could just experiment them on others…hahaha
PR Skill No. 1: Shift the focus to something else so that the dance steps are not much noticed. I decided to wear a bright pink lehenga (Indian traditional dress) that I had bought… which is really very pretty so while I was dancing all eyes were on my dress and nobody noticed/ critiqued my steps ;-)
PR skill No. 2: Involve others in the dance, this will again take away the focus from you and even other will enjoy. So I purposely dragged everyone around on the dance floor to dance along with me ;-)
PR skill No. 3: Keep all the songs short ….very very short (like a DJ mix). This gives you a room to relax for 5 secs after each song and create interest in dancing too!
Well there was one more trick that I used… hope no one is reading this post… LOL. The trick was to involve all other bad dancers so that I’m not the worse dancer on the floor…hahaha
Hope these tips will help all my readers who are bad dancers like me, if they ever fall into a situation like this!! ;-) LOL
Well jokes apart, this was a real time fun experience. And I will have to admit that I enjoyed dancing a lot. The whole event was full of fun and surprises… nobody expected me (and few other whom I dragged) to dance and that’s what made everyone so thrilled and surprised.
It is definitely a day to remember… and was an adventure in true sense.
Life is full of Adventures. Isn’t it??
Here are some photographs for you all :)
But all this while I never thought that one day my sister will get married and ofcourse I will have to entertain the crowd…LOL. Yup this happens only in India!! Hahaha … Plus not to forget I belong to a true Kayastha family so I’m bound to show my talent even if I don’t have any!! ;-)
And on Jan 26 2012 when the entire country was celebrating Republic day, I discovered that I was still ruled by my mom…hehe. It was my Sis’s Roka ceremony (engagement) that day…. and (as expected) even before a month my mom starting pestering me to prepare a dance for the day. Every day when I used to call home we used to have nasty conversation like this:-
“So did you think of a song?”
“Song? Why?? Do YOU want to dance on 26th?” (Deliberately I used to say this to change the topic ;-))
“Nooooo… You will dance!!” My mom replied in anger
“But you know mom that I can’t dance” (the only excuse I could give her:P)
“Ofcourse you can dance… who said you can’t…?! “…she replied (wow now that was a sudden shift in attitude…. All this while I was forced to believe that I can’t dance and now that she wants me to dance she is even ready to say this!! :P)
“You only said… that when I dance it looks as if a wrestler is wrestling”:P
“When did I say that…??” my mom asked so innocently as if she can’t recall
“When I was young!!”
“But that’s long back….you were so silly at that time…. Now I know you can dance” (she was still trying to convince me)
“But how do you know that? You haven’t seen me dancing all this while”
“Archika… now shut up…. Don’t argue unnecessarily… (Mom relied in anger) it’s your sister’s engagement for god’s sake…so you better dance. I don’t think anyone else in our family is preparing anything… now you tell me who will dance!! Even Shamit’s dad and uncle are singing… you want to say that we have got no talent in our family…blah blah blah” (so now that was the plan…I thought in my mind:P)
“I have found some dance videos on youtube I’ll send you the links so that you can practice”(she added)
Ofcourse …poor me… I had nothing to say after all this… so my search for a song begun…
But the interesting part is that such things are really very hilarious coz it’s not your story alone… even other parents were forcing their kids to dance, sing etc. etc. (everyone of us was sailing in the same boat :P) But Alas! All this doesn’t put your troubles to an end… I still had to dance:(
I reached home just a day before the engagement from Mumbai to Delhi. And in the night I showed the dance step to my mom to approve… obviously she had to approve coz she didn’t have a choice ;-). Frankly speaking I was shit nervous coz it was like a solo performance…. Atleast in group performances you have scope to hide behind the best performer… here I didn’t have that escape too!!
So I thought it was time for me to use my PR skills…. Obviously no point of using them on my mom coz she knows me very well… so I could just experiment them on others…hahaha
PR Skill No. 1: Shift the focus to something else so that the dance steps are not much noticed. I decided to wear a bright pink lehenga (Indian traditional dress) that I had bought… which is really very pretty so while I was dancing all eyes were on my dress and nobody noticed/ critiqued my steps ;-)
PR skill No. 2: Involve others in the dance, this will again take away the focus from you and even other will enjoy. So I purposely dragged everyone around on the dance floor to dance along with me ;-)
PR skill No. 3: Keep all the songs short ….very very short (like a DJ mix). This gives you a room to relax for 5 secs after each song and create interest in dancing too!
Well there was one more trick that I used… hope no one is reading this post… LOL. The trick was to involve all other bad dancers so that I’m not the worse dancer on the floor…hahaha
Hope these tips will help all my readers who are bad dancers like me, if they ever fall into a situation like this!! ;-) LOL
Well jokes apart, this was a real time fun experience. And I will have to admit that I enjoyed dancing a lot. The whole event was full of fun and surprises… nobody expected me (and few other whom I dragged) to dance and that’s what made everyone so thrilled and surprised.
It is definitely a day to remember… and was an adventure in true sense.
Life is full of Adventures. Isn’t it??
Here are some photographs for you all :)



Well written and nice pics.. i can understand the string of events u must have gone through while preparing a dance number... LOL.. i have been in the same 'dancing' shoes!! but in the end.. u always laugh it off
ReplyDeletehahaha... yeah Aki... and its fun to remember that too.... i must have seen the video 40-50 times.... each time i watch it...it makes me laugh!! ;-)
ReplyDeletelol... there is no place to like your blog ;)
ReplyDeleteGood one.. finally you proved that Pappu can dance ..!!
ReplyDeletecool... i have added the fb like button now :)
ReplyDeleteThanks Rajesh
well written.
ReplyDeletethanks Devesh!
ReplyDeleteEspecially when you have guys to dance with you ... its bound to be funny.. :)
ReplyDeleteOhh I see
ReplyDelete