Generally there is nothing much to tell in one's career journey, but last evening when I was telling my story to one of my colleague at Vaishnavi, he was really fascinated and amused by it. Fascinated because there are so many twists and turns in it and amused because I was narrating it in such a fashion!
So now after the down fall of my company when I have nothing else to do apart from finding a job for myself, and attending those boring meetings with the management I thought why not write my own story. The story of my journey in PR.
Writing has always been my passion, though I hardly got time in all these years to nurture my this passion. All I could write was press releases, briefing and debriefing documents and some articles that were eventually attributed to my clients!
I have been reading this novel “I’m not 24...” and it’s really interesting. So even today when I woke up I immediately put my book in the bag so that I could read it in the train. But when I got inside the train I had to choose between reading the book and writing my story. I decided to choose the latter.
And the story begins….
So it all started from that one message I got on orkut from a company called 'Facts n Fiction'. Obviously I was surprised as I never thought that I'll get my first job call on 'Orkut'. But then I convinced myself that it’s the digital world and anything can happen on internet today!
But what confused me even more was the address of an apartment in Rohini. I questioned myself “Is the guy calling me for the interview to his house? I wonder why!"
Whatever it was I couldn't leave this chance for the first interview of my life. Obviously I was desperate for a job at that time because my best friend Kanika had already started anchoring in a small time TV channel called TV 100. And it’s always great to be amongst the first one in college to get a placement.
So I ask my dad to drop to this place for the interview. I know it’s amusing to hear that my dad went to drop me for an interview, but honestly speaking Rohini has always been a mystery for me as all the sectors there are really very confusing. Besides what else would anyone expect from 20 yrs old! :P I was not even a graduate at that time. Forget about Rohini I used to even get confused finding my way to home at Madhuban Chowk after my College which was just 2 km away from my home! I think that can be another topic for me to write a story – ‘The lost ways!!’ Lol.. ;-)
So I reached this place, a chinky guy (people from eastern part of the country) opened the door and I was asked to sit on a chair kept next to the main entrance. I was trying to figure out what kind of place it was, as it was not even looking like a house. Few minutes later I was asked to go inside a room which was next to me, I didn’t notice it as it was shut. I went inside and I saw a guy sitting on a chair kept next to a large table, working on his Laptop.
“Hi I’m Shiva Rana and this is Tina” he said, while introducing me to a newly married girl sitting next to him.
The girl was pretty but was really very slow in life; the way she used to speak I could complete my whole thesis in that much time.
They both interviewed me and asked me questions as much they could ask and finally decided to hire me instantly. I was surprised and happy at the same time. I walk out with a slight smile on my face. But till then I was wondering where the office was, since I had to join from the next day. I thought of asking this question to Shiva but then I was hesitant to ask. So I thought I’ll take the address from the office boy who opened the door for me.
So I call this guy and ask him, where is the office located? and he looks at me in confusion. He immediate calls a tall, plump fair guy standing nearby. I ask the same question to him and even he got surprised on hearing this question.
“This place is our office only” he replies “…and this will be your workstation” he added, pointing towards a place where a table and a chair was kept with an old set of computer.
Well this is not how I expected my first office to look like! I tell myself. But obviously I had no option at that time than to work there.
This was the company where I was sent for a client meeting to take brief on my very second day. So early morning I get a call from Sahil telling me that he will be coming to pick me up for a client meeting in another one hour.
I had so many questions in my mind already like…
“Why are we going for the meeting at 8:30 in the morning…who goes so early…?
Where is the meeting?
How will we going for the meeting? Am I supposed to wear formals for the meeting?”…etc etc etc.
But before I could ask any of these questions he hung up on me! So according to the best of my understanding I got ready before an hour.
To my surprise when I reach the main entrance of my apartments to go the meeting I see him on a bike!!!
“So are we going to the meeting on this bike?” I ask him in confusion.
“My car broke down this morning and anyways this company doesn’t pay me so much that I should get my car for the meetings.” He replied. I didn’t know what to say after this but definitely I wanted to know how much salary he gets!
Though I was little angry with his reply but then somewhere I was happy too, because that was my first chance to get a bike ride. And I used to love riding on bikes...lol
So without showing him my true emotions I quietly sat on his bike. My only worry was that my hair will get spoiled by the time I will reach the place. But who cares I was carrying my hair brush anyways. ;-)
“Where are we going for the meeting” I asked
“Hauz khas” he replies
“Hauz khassss!!” in shock I repeated “where is Hauz khas? I mean How far?” I asked in confusion coz I had never been to that part of the city.
“Near AIIMS” he said
I was still wondering where AIIMS was, so I thought I should not ask him my stupid questions because whatever landmarks he will give me I’ll never be able to understand!
So without even knowing the place I said…“Oh there!…ok ok” We covered one hour distance in just 20 mins, I was still in motion even after I got off the bike. Quickly I brushed my hair before entering the nice big bungalow at Hauz khas.
The maid opens the door and direct us towards a meeting room in the basement. Few minutes later a handsome looking tall, middle aged guy enters the room. He was dressed in white shirt and blue jeans which was perfectly ironed. He was quite fair looking guy and his cowboy hat just looked perfect on him. While I was all mesmerized with his looks I wanted to hear his voice too just to know how he talks. And believe me he was an articulate orator, the language was flowing effortlessly and so gracefully that I was really very impressed. (As great communication skills have always caught my attention) and I think he was the first person I met who impressed me with his talking skills.
So he started explaining us how he wanted the broacher to look like and Sahil started taking notes. I was initially listening to the client, as if I’m gonna remember everything till tomorrow. But when I saw Sahil written even I took my pen and notebook out. But I think the client thought I was Sahil’s senior maybe (lol) as he was explaining everything to me. He was throughout looking into my eyes and so my entire concentration was on whether I was nodding my head at proper intervals or not. (Just like the way I used to do in school)
Next day when we came back to office to give the brief to the designers and I was surprised to see that Sahil was giving his own brief to them. So as I was new I thought maybe there was something which I was supposed to read between the lines something which I didn’t understand but he did.
We took a week to design the artwork and then after a week, we again went to the client to show him what we had made. So we go to the same place, but this time Sahil got his car! I was happy as I thought I’ll get enough time to sleep. ;-) Sahil was carrying the artwork with him and like a school teacher he kept explaining me what an artwork is etc etc. Throughout the way he was just blabbering (he didn’t even let me sleep!). And if he was like a school teacher even I was no better than a school kid. I was listening to all his instruction and gyaan and if the car wouldn’t have been moving I would have taking notes as well.
I didn’t know that it was the day of my career when I will see a real life drama. So Sahil with all excitement and in anticipation of good words from the clients took the artwork out. The moment that client saw the artwork he freaked out!
‘Is this what I told you guys to make?’ He shouted
‘You wasted my whole week!’ He added in the same tone
I was completely shocked as to what is happening. But what was troubling me even more was that even this time the client was looking at me. I wanted to tell him that, speak to this guy and not me! But I couldn’t say. (Afterall Sahil was huge enough to break my head after the meeting)
I was really angry not just because I was facing the brunt but because Sahil didn’t have the balls to admit his fault. So I thought it was time for me to take the ownership. This time I decided that I will take the brief and not just nod my head for the heck of it. (to be continued...)
PS: This story was written in November 2011 but posted in January 2012 (currently i'm very much employed! :))
So now after the down fall of my company when I have nothing else to do apart from finding a job for myself, and attending those boring meetings with the management I thought why not write my own story. The story of my journey in PR.
Writing has always been my passion, though I hardly got time in all these years to nurture my this passion. All I could write was press releases, briefing and debriefing documents and some articles that were eventually attributed to my clients!
I have been reading this novel “I’m not 24...” and it’s really interesting. So even today when I woke up I immediately put my book in the bag so that I could read it in the train. But when I got inside the train I had to choose between reading the book and writing my story. I decided to choose the latter.
And the story begins….
So it all started from that one message I got on orkut from a company called 'Facts n Fiction'. Obviously I was surprised as I never thought that I'll get my first job call on 'Orkut'. But then I convinced myself that it’s the digital world and anything can happen on internet today!
But what confused me even more was the address of an apartment in Rohini. I questioned myself “Is the guy calling me for the interview to his house? I wonder why!"
Whatever it was I couldn't leave this chance for the first interview of my life. Obviously I was desperate for a job at that time because my best friend Kanika had already started anchoring in a small time TV channel called TV 100. And it’s always great to be amongst the first one in college to get a placement.
So I ask my dad to drop to this place for the interview. I know it’s amusing to hear that my dad went to drop me for an interview, but honestly speaking Rohini has always been a mystery for me as all the sectors there are really very confusing. Besides what else would anyone expect from 20 yrs old! :P I was not even a graduate at that time. Forget about Rohini I used to even get confused finding my way to home at Madhuban Chowk after my College which was just 2 km away from my home! I think that can be another topic for me to write a story – ‘The lost ways!!’ Lol.. ;-)
So I reached this place, a chinky guy (people from eastern part of the country) opened the door and I was asked to sit on a chair kept next to the main entrance. I was trying to figure out what kind of place it was, as it was not even looking like a house. Few minutes later I was asked to go inside a room which was next to me, I didn’t notice it as it was shut. I went inside and I saw a guy sitting on a chair kept next to a large table, working on his Laptop.
“Hi I’m Shiva Rana and this is Tina” he said, while introducing me to a newly married girl sitting next to him.
The girl was pretty but was really very slow in life; the way she used to speak I could complete my whole thesis in that much time.
They both interviewed me and asked me questions as much they could ask and finally decided to hire me instantly. I was surprised and happy at the same time. I walk out with a slight smile on my face. But till then I was wondering where the office was, since I had to join from the next day. I thought of asking this question to Shiva but then I was hesitant to ask. So I thought I’ll take the address from the office boy who opened the door for me.
So I call this guy and ask him, where is the office located? and he looks at me in confusion. He immediate calls a tall, plump fair guy standing nearby. I ask the same question to him and even he got surprised on hearing this question.
“This place is our office only” he replies “…and this will be your workstation” he added, pointing towards a place where a table and a chair was kept with an old set of computer.
Well this is not how I expected my first office to look like! I tell myself. But obviously I had no option at that time than to work there.
This was the company where I was sent for a client meeting to take brief on my very second day. So early morning I get a call from Sahil telling me that he will be coming to pick me up for a client meeting in another one hour.
I had so many questions in my mind already like…
“Why are we going for the meeting at 8:30 in the morning…who goes so early…?
Where is the meeting?
How will we going for the meeting? Am I supposed to wear formals for the meeting?”…etc etc etc.
But before I could ask any of these questions he hung up on me! So according to the best of my understanding I got ready before an hour.
To my surprise when I reach the main entrance of my apartments to go the meeting I see him on a bike!!!
“So are we going to the meeting on this bike?” I ask him in confusion.
“My car broke down this morning and anyways this company doesn’t pay me so much that I should get my car for the meetings.” He replied. I didn’t know what to say after this but definitely I wanted to know how much salary he gets!
Though I was little angry with his reply but then somewhere I was happy too, because that was my first chance to get a bike ride. And I used to love riding on bikes...lol
So without showing him my true emotions I quietly sat on his bike. My only worry was that my hair will get spoiled by the time I will reach the place. But who cares I was carrying my hair brush anyways. ;-)
“Where are we going for the meeting” I asked
“Hauz khas” he replies
“Hauz khassss!!” in shock I repeated “where is Hauz khas? I mean How far?” I asked in confusion coz I had never been to that part of the city.
“Near AIIMS” he said
I was still wondering where AIIMS was, so I thought I should not ask him my stupid questions because whatever landmarks he will give me I’ll never be able to understand!
So without even knowing the place I said…“Oh there!…ok ok” We covered one hour distance in just 20 mins, I was still in motion even after I got off the bike. Quickly I brushed my hair before entering the nice big bungalow at Hauz khas.
The maid opens the door and direct us towards a meeting room in the basement. Few minutes later a handsome looking tall, middle aged guy enters the room. He was dressed in white shirt and blue jeans which was perfectly ironed. He was quite fair looking guy and his cowboy hat just looked perfect on him. While I was all mesmerized with his looks I wanted to hear his voice too just to know how he talks. And believe me he was an articulate orator, the language was flowing effortlessly and so gracefully that I was really very impressed. (As great communication skills have always caught my attention) and I think he was the first person I met who impressed me with his talking skills.
So he started explaining us how he wanted the broacher to look like and Sahil started taking notes. I was initially listening to the client, as if I’m gonna remember everything till tomorrow. But when I saw Sahil written even I took my pen and notebook out. But I think the client thought I was Sahil’s senior maybe (lol) as he was explaining everything to me. He was throughout looking into my eyes and so my entire concentration was on whether I was nodding my head at proper intervals or not. (Just like the way I used to do in school)
Next day when we came back to office to give the brief to the designers and I was surprised to see that Sahil was giving his own brief to them. So as I was new I thought maybe there was something which I was supposed to read between the lines something which I didn’t understand but he did.
We took a week to design the artwork and then after a week, we again went to the client to show him what we had made. So we go to the same place, but this time Sahil got his car! I was happy as I thought I’ll get enough time to sleep. ;-) Sahil was carrying the artwork with him and like a school teacher he kept explaining me what an artwork is etc etc. Throughout the way he was just blabbering (he didn’t even let me sleep!). And if he was like a school teacher even I was no better than a school kid. I was listening to all his instruction and gyaan and if the car wouldn’t have been moving I would have taking notes as well.
I didn’t know that it was the day of my career when I will see a real life drama. So Sahil with all excitement and in anticipation of good words from the clients took the artwork out. The moment that client saw the artwork he freaked out!
‘Is this what I told you guys to make?’ He shouted
‘You wasted my whole week!’ He added in the same tone
I was completely shocked as to what is happening. But what was troubling me even more was that even this time the client was looking at me. I wanted to tell him that, speak to this guy and not me! But I couldn’t say. (Afterall Sahil was huge enough to break my head after the meeting)
I was really angry not just because I was facing the brunt but because Sahil didn’t have the balls to admit his fault. So I thought it was time for me to take the ownership. This time I decided that I will take the brief and not just nod my head for the heck of it. (to be continued...)
PS: This story was written in November 2011 but posted in January 2012 (currently i'm very much employed! :))

This is so you :) I could actually imagine all that happening with you in my mind :) Very well written.. And Rohini is confusing? It is more organized than Pitampura :P
ReplyDeleteThanks Sanaskar. well this was 4 years ago....now even Pitampura is confusing for me..lol
ReplyDelete